Monday, September 22, 2008

Appomattox

Ever since I took an interest in Lincoln and the Civil War, maybe ever since that first day in William Gillette's American History survey class when he gave that impassioned lecture on Lincoln, I have maintained that the war was not fought over slavery. And I don't need any more proof after today, visiting the McLean house at Appomattox. No one ever mentions in the accounts of the surrender the slaves living in Wilbur McLean's backyard. I never knew until today. And I wondered idly, looking through the doors of the slave quarters, whether any member of General Grant's staff laid eyes on those slaves, maybe even looked at them. And I wondered if those slaves had a party after Lee left in defeat. And it suddenly occurred to me that the Union soldiers didn't fight and die to free the slaves, and the Confederate soldiers didn't fight and die to keep them in bondage. Because if they had, surely there would exist historical documentation of the slaves present at the defeat. And my eyes filled up with tears and I had to walk away. I know it sounds dramatic, but what a lie this country has thrived on. The price of democracy defended. What a terrible thing we do as a nation.

No comments: