Monday, July 21, 2008

another possible itinerary

I'm beginning to think it might be useful to do my trip in the opposite direction. Jack noted that three hours is not enough time to see Gettysburg, in his opinion, and maybe he's right. What's more, I've planned two-three hours on several different battlefields and left the bulk of my driving to the end of the trip. The problem I see with this is that I'm going to get so damned tired by the end, that it could prove almost physically painful to spend the last two days in the car. What I think is maybe if I start by driving down the east coast, the driving will be more of an adventure than a drag. Furthermore if I plan Richmond for the first day instead of the last, I can get all that Confederate history for starters. I also think it might be prudent to cut some drive-time by skipping Fort Sumter altogether. What? Oh, I know. Skipping Sumter puts a giant historic hole in my plan. But maybe another time I can go to Sumter and Savannah and the Blue Mountains all in one shot. So here's the new tentative plan, beginning with Manassas and Richmond and ending in Gettysburg. This gives more leisure to my trip, though I spend a day and a half doing nothing but driving, but it also gives me a day and a half at the battle of Chickamauga and a night in the Great Smoky Mountains too. So here it is, itinerary draft 3.

Looking better.


[REDACTED, at recommendation of Pop]



This gives me two sites in Richmond, two battlefields (Gettysburg and Manassas), one battle (Chattanooga/Chickamauga), two general sites (Appomattox and Harper's Ferry), and two national parks.


Thanks for the feedback, and keep it coming.


xo

No comments: