Tuesday, July 15, 2008

already overwhelmed

I've been doing a little research here and there on sites to visit and drive times and events, but tonight I put together my first draft of an itinerary. Either I'm not going to sleep on this trip, or I'm only going to get to see a handful of sites. I already wish I had more time on this. Tonight's first draft looks like this:

Day 1:
depart 9am
arrive gettysburg noon
depart gettysburg 2pm
arrive antietam 4pm
camp

Day 2:
depart antietam 8am
arrive manassas 10am
depart manassas noon
arrive appomattox 4pm
camp

Day 3:
depart appomattox noon
arrive chickamauga 7pm
camp

Day 4:
chickamauga

Day 5:
depart chickamauga 8am
arrive kennesaw 10am
camp

Day 6:
depart kennesaw 8am
arrive savannah 1pm
camp

Day 7:
depart savannah 9am
arrive ft. sumter noon
depart ft. sumter 2pm

I really want to camp in the mountains of Georgia, thus the entire day spent in Kennesaw. Chickamauga is the reenactment day I've planned in, Manassas is the first battle, Sumter the first shot, and Appomattox of course the end. And I can't possibly skip Gettysburg or Antietam, but I'm going to have to skip something I think.

Car rental is going to cost just under 300. Gas I've hopefully overestimated at about the same. Food is going to consist of the bare basics: granola, trail mix, potatoes, a few cans of soup, and a handful of apples and bananas. A hundred bucks at best. Camping and park fees, another hundred. I think I'm looking at close to a thousand dollars here. Quite an expensive trip, so I'd better make the best of it, see all I can see. This trip I think will teach me well as much in the planning and execution as it will in what I learn about American history and myself.

No comments: