Thursday, August 7, 2008

chickamauga

My ticket for the Battle of Chickamauga arrived today. I tried to order it online, but the server didn't seem secure, so I called. The ticket that came in the mail today was accompanied by a receipt that had been printed out from their website. This means they fed my credit card number into the internet despite my hesitancy to do so. Drat the modern age.

The other day I watched the Ken Burns' episode about the Battle of Chickamauga. It was a Southern victory, avenged by the Union at Chattanooga a few days later. It was after the tide of the war turned, and a minor battle at best, but still, I'm excited to see it. I want to hear the rebel yell. Shelby Foote reports that historians don't know to this day exactly what the rebel yell actually sounded like, but I'm sure some of those Southern reenactors must have some reckoning. All contemporary accounts report it curdled the blood and stiffened the spine and I wonder whether outside the terror of the real Civil War, if that could be anywhere near possible.

No comments: